For some time now, I have been talking to my friend, Chef Kyle Daley, about posting on Gastropub. Finally, we have a post from Kyle and lots more posts to come. Kyle is a very talented chef who has worked around the world cooking. Our first co-post (Kyle’s recipe and my typing) is Sous Vide Beef Short Ribs with onion whipped potatoes and sautéed rapini.
Sous Vide Beef Short Ribs
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 49 hour
Yield: 4 Servings
- Prime Beef Short Ribs 2lbs
- 2 Large Carrots
- 1/2 a Bunch of Celery
- 2 medium size onions
- 1 Gallon of Beef Stock
- 1 oz of Fresh Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbs of Pepper Corn
- 5 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Quart of Red Wine (bold)
Instructions: Sous Vide Short Ribs
1. Preheat your sous vide water to 160 F.
2. Chop carrots, celery and onions into 1 inch pieces.
3. Heavily salt and pepper the short ribs.
4. On high heat pan sear the short ribs until they are golden brown on each side.
5. Mix beef stock, red wine, herbs, and vegetables in a vacuum bag.
6. Add seared beef to the bag and vacuum seal.
7. Put the vacuum sealed bag in the sous vide for 48 hours
8. Open the bag and remove the short ribs.
9. Strain the vegetables off and catch the juice in a pot.
10. Reduce the juices by half. This will be your sauce.
11. Add the short ribs to the sauce and let them simmer for about an hour.
Onion Whipped Potatoes
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 Servings
- 6 Large Potatoes
- 3 Large Onions
- 1/2 a Cup of Creme Fraiche
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1/2 a Cup of Butter
Instructions: Onion Whipped Potatoes
1. Wash and Peel the taters
2. Quarter the taters
3. Julienne the Onions
4. Put the onions in a small pot with a cup of water
5. Simmer the onions until the water is gone
6. At the same time add the potatoes to a pot, cover them with water and cook until they are fork tender (about 25 minutes)
7. When the onions are done add them and the creme fraiche to a blender and blend.
8. When the potatoes are done strain the water out of the pot and mash the potatoes while they are still hot.
9. Miix the potatoes with onion/creme faiche puree, and butter.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 Bunch of Rapini
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- Dried Tomatos
- 1 Chunk of Butter
- Splash of Dry White Wine
1. Sautée garlic in EVOO for minute or so.
2. Add Rapini and Dried tomatoes
3. Pour in a splash of dry white wine
4. throw in the chunk of butter.
5. Cook for about 3 or 4 minutes
6. Salt and pepper to taste.
This was tender and tasty. You should try it!